2016-17 Next Generation & STEAM Artist Residencies
In partnership with Brevard Schools Foundation and with funding from the Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, BCA implemented 15 Next Generation In-School Artist Residencies during regular school hours. In total 2,510 students were directly served with instruction by professional artists.
Next Generation Artist Residencies seek to enhance not only participants’ artistic skills but also overall academic performance and to equip students with transferable 21st century life skills, such as capacities for creativity and innovation.
Beyond the instruction provided by our teaching artists, Next Generation Artist Residencies afford many opportunities for the larger school community and families to participate, in the form of experiencing culminating events, performances, exhibitions, and public art projects. In total an additional 1,050 students and 525 adults (staff and parents) participated in these residency-related activities.
Four of the 2016-17 residencies were STEAM artist residencies. STEAM residencies are a subset of the Next Generation Artist Residencies program. These residencies focus on integrating the arts in a cross-curricular fashion to teach STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) in new and creative ways, focused on integration of the arts with STEM subjects (STEAM).
2016-17 participating schools and artists:
- H.C. Andersen Elementary – Artist: Kathleen Smith – STEAM Project: Introduction to Digital Art
- Bayside High School – Artist: Linda Noble – Project: Ceramic Mosaic Mural
- DeLaura Middle School – Artist: Betsy Heath – Project: Exterior Mosaic Mural
- Hoover Middle School – Artist: Mary Moon – Project: Mosaic Mural
- Longleaf Elementary – Artist: Erik Hertz – STEAM Project: Science of Firing & Glazing Ceramics
- McNair Middle Magnet – Project: Artist: Betsy Heath – STEAM Project: STEAM Mosaic Mural
- Melbourne High – Artist: Kyle Knappenberger – Project: Choral Instruction
- Oak Park Elementary – Artist: Kathleen Smith – Project: Modeling Historical Characters
- Palm Bay Elementary – Chance2Dance – Project: Dance for Students with Special Needs
- Pinewood Elementary – Artists: Orisirisi (Don & Tutu Harrell) – Project: African Musical Theater
- Port Malabar Elementary – Artists: Orisirisi (Don & Tutu Harrell) – Project: African Musical Theater
- Roosevelt Elementary – Artist: Mary Moon – Project: Mosaic Mural
- Space Coast Jr/Sr High School – Artist: Erik Hertz – STEAM Project: Science of Ceramics
- Viera High School – Artist: Vashti Verschoor – Project: Painting and Recycled Art
- Westside Elementary – Artist: Mary Moon – Project: Mosaic Mural
BCA Teaching Artists
Next Generation and STEAM residencies utilize professional teaching artists with expertise in different disciplines and types of educational programs. If you are interested in hosting a residency, please carefully read each artist’s information to find the best fit for your school.
If you have questions, please contact us anytime.
Education & Community Arts Manager
Brevard Cultural Alliance